What is Ruby on Rails:
- Ruby is a very powerful programing language. It is used to provide the fonctionalities a dynamic web site need.
- Rails is a framework. It profide the stucture, a high level of fonctionalities, and encourege a clean programing style.
The advantage are: high level of fonctionalities, short time frame to show a working draft of the site, high level of adaptability and maintenability (agil design).
What is Apache:
- Apache is the frontal web server. Apache respond to the requests for a web page. Then if the content is static it will serve the content. If the content is dynamic, it wil pass the hand to the dynamic interpreter (PHP, Mongrel, Passenger Enterprise) witch will return the page built to Apache to be sent back to your browser.
What is Mongrel:
- Mongrel is one of the two engines we use to power the dynamic webs sites created with Rails.
What is Passenger:
- Passenger is our engine of choice to power Rail web sites. We are using the enterprise versions of Passenger and Ruby.